7.28.2009

The Little Things.


I stood there watching the sun set. My bare feet sunk into the warm smooth sand as I took a seat to watch one of nature's more unforgettable but also most forgotten moments in a day. As the sun reached the horizon, I looked out into my version of paradise.

I watched the waves crash, they were quiet and low, just the perfect height and depth. I watched the people. Some were alone, most were with someone. At that moment, I did not mind being alone. I was at peace with myself for those couple of minutes. I thought about life, thought about love, thought about everything and anything and smiled because I pushed it all out of my head a as quickly as it had come in and just sat.

I sat and felt the warm breeze against my face, I sat and took the silly pictures of flip flops sitting in the sand, looking as though they were discarded for the pure enjoyment of feeling the sand, sun and grass beneath your feet.

An emotion like no other took over while I sat there. I cried softly because I never wanted to leave. I was content here. This could be my home, I thought to myself. I didn't want to leave my best friends, one from that town and the other from PA. I felt like a world traveler at that moment, thinking back to earlier in the day when I had spent time with them. I thought back to the drive to the grocery store to meet up with my friend who had gotten sick.

I thought back to the fact that I found it hilarious that all the parking spot had those bumpers so you didn't pull to far forward. I thought about the Starbucks in that plaza, I thought about the Frapaccino that Sondra and I had shared back in February of last year and how I had met BP there. I thought about how everything eventually comes together, through people, places and events.

As I sat there on that beach, staring off at the vast ocean, I smiled, this is what life is all about. The little things. And as I got up and made my way back to our room, I smiled at my friend who was asleep, laughing at how tired she was. It wasn't a perfect vacation.

But imperfections are what makes the little things possible.

0 you know you love me.: