1.30.2009

It's A Dub Life.

{this is baberz car, those headlights aren't yellow bulbs btw, he has yellow film over it. that wasn't what got us in trouble, lol, it was the bulbs. grrrr.}


I've written and rewritten and deleted and on and on, this post topic forever now. I'm not sure how I want it to come out, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and let it all spew out. So, here we go.

True Life: I'm A Dub Girl

{and clearly a huge dork!}

Yes, I am a dub girl, volkswagen enthuisist, whatever you may call it, I'm in love with Volkswagens. They are my passion in life.

Volkswagens are a breed of their own in my opinion. They are a highly customizable vehicle within the 16-30 age range. The true benefit of having this sick obsession is the people. The scene is amazing, the car shows keep getting bigger and better. You meet so many awesome people, and you see such amazing cars. You see kids my age driving MK1 && MK2s (baberz drives a mk2) which are the years between I think um, 80-something-92, and they take such pride in their old cars. It amazing to see the passion that many of us have for our cars.

(It keeps growing and growing and growing.)

Driving a veedub and "the scene" as we call it is an everyday part of my life. I'm constantly thinking about what I want done, checking to see what's going on with my dub club, CT Eurospec, constantly thinking about what shows I want to go, which are usually an every weekend or every other weekend occurence starting in April up here. Thinking about this and that. With the exception of my actual two besties, everyone I associate with, drives a dub or some european car.

Being a girl in the dub scene does come with the standard sexism though. Men almost always assume that Charlie belongs to baberz unless I tell them before hand. I remember one incident quite well, when I went with baberz to meet up with Big B && Lil B (my brothers from another mother) and we were going back to Big B's shop and baberz and I got stuck at a light right before the turn to his shop...and someone had pulled over and waited for us.

Baberz went up after and thanked him for waiting for us. Which the kid replied, "Oh, it's no big deal, I saw your car at the light, so I decided to pull over and wait." In which baberz replied, "You mean her car, you waited for her car, that's her Rabbit." This was followed by clearly a shocked look on the kid's face.

Originally, when I joined CT Eurospec, I just signed up on their forums and started posting, and boy did I cause a frenzzzy. They were apparently lacking girl status on that. It was funny at first, they were all excited. Then baberz joined and the excitement died down and turned to focus on him and his old school MK2 Jetta. I resumed my position to that of his gf who drives a Volkswagen. (the only one tho!)

I honestly don't mind it, but sometimes it gets under my skin. I know I drive a Mk5, and yes, nothing is done to it, but that's because everything for my car costs an arm and a leg and then some. But, soon I'll have stuff done. And people will question baberz and myself, ask if he bought the parts or installed them for me..and the little dub girl with the black and red mechanix gloves, will tell you, "Absolutely Not."

4 you know you love me.:

Bon Don said...

Aww you're so cute!! You little Dub girl You!

Volkswagens are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I read this post twice, and concluded that I have no idea what it means; but after researching what a Dub Girl is, I now know.

So it's cool.

I shamefully admit that I know nothing about cars.

Harley said...

For a minute there I was like I'M A DUB GIRL TOO!

But then I kept reading and actually:

a) I don't drive
b) I'm from DUBlin, which makes me a dub. But not the same kind as you.

Although I do have an absolute and total obsession with VW hippie vans. Seriously I have like ten models of them and it is my DREAM vehicle.

*drool*

Anonymous said...

Good for you for finding something that you love so much!! I can't wait to see what you do to your car... all on your own!!